NZ Commerce Commission to sue Viagogo
The NZ Commerce Commission is to commence civil proceedings in the High Court against Switzerland-based ticket resale website Viagogo.
The proceedings will be under the Fair Trading Act, and the Commission will be seeking:
- declarations that Viagogo has breached the Act
- an injunction restraining it from further breaches
- corrective advertising orders.
The Commission will claim that Viagogo made false or misleading representations:
- that it was an “official” seller, when it was not
- that tickets were limited or about to sell out
- that consumers were “guaranteed” to receive valid tickets for their event
- about the price of tickets, when its ‘headline’ prices were unobtainable because of the addition of GST and various fees.