Do you have a cross-border dispute?

If you have a dispute about an online or related transaction with a foreign company, first of all you should try to resolve it directly with that company.

If that does not work, you should visit our specially devised website at, where you can:

If your complaint concerns a dispute within the European Union you may seek help at one of the European Consumer Centres.

If your complaint does not have a cross border element, your should take up the case with your national consumer agency.